Friday, February 15, 2008


My thoughts and prayers are for all the faculty, students and staff at NIU, especially those who lost their lives and their families....
Even though our nation has gone through this tragedy before...it never gets any easier.
Magdiel Martinez
HBU Husky '07

4 comments:

Kristen Autrey said...

Magdiel,

I post this comment not because I want to be mean or argumentative... but because I value your opinion and desire to challenge you (as I hope you'll challenge me).

I don't know if you personally believe this. You may.

How do you, or MBE reconcile the view that everybody is God's child (in a deeper sense then just being created by God) with the Apostle Paul's theology of Adoption. Because if I understand Paul (in places like Romans and Galatians) the reason why Adoption (as a metaphor of salvation) is so amazing and beautiful is because there was a time when people were not in the "family" of God. Adoption seems to presuppose that people in the world were at one time or another not members of God's household.

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Quique

Magdiel Martinez said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura said...

Hi, Quique, Magdiel showed me your question, it's a great one.

To me (and I'm a lifelong student of Christian Science), what you've hit on is the difference between our true nature as the image and likeness of God and our perceived limited nature that we are outgrowing day by day.

When I read the section from Paul on adoption, I appreciate how he's describing what it feels like to break through the limited nature to the spiritual one. We may feel cut off in our limited state, but when we break through, we gain a new fabulous sense of being accepted fully by God.

Now, God always did accept us fully, we just didn't know it. When we come to understand it, it can feel like that adoption metaphor. However, we are and always have been the natural born children of the divine Holy One.

Does that make sense?

Warmly,
Laura
@}-->--

Kristen Autrey said...

Thanks for your comment.

I agree.. You need to post!!! LOL

Have you read any of the book from Laura Smit? How is it

Cheers,

Q