I went to the SGA meeting for the University of Houston tonight. There were two issues that were brought to the student senate...a new bill that would introduce "Gender Identity/Expression" into the nondiscrimination bill at UH and benefits for student veterans. While making sure that our men and women in uniform are guaranteed a better educational experience at UH, the meeting was almost entirely about the new bill. I was amazed at the overwhelming support at the meeting for it. I am grateful to go to a school where alot of students support equality for all people in the UH community.
I think that we will be able to introduce this into our nondiscrimination statement. Rice U has it. Some UH campuses satellite campuses have it. Why not UH main campus? And with a large group of students, staff, and faculty supporting it, its only a matter of time.
I am noticing that, in spite of it being a large public school where you can get lost easily, there are alot of friendly people in this school. As I was picking up mail at the front desk of cougar place, the girl working the desk was quite pleasant and really friendly. And I noticied alot of the staff being friendly too. After I left the meeting, I was taking an elevator with on of the maintence staff members, and he started some small talk, saying what a beautiful day we had and how he wished he did not have to work today. He was really nice. Even the cafeteria staff is generally friendly here!
I think seeing the goodness present on this campus is a response to prayer...prayers that I had made to see God's love and goodness present whereever I am...and thanks to those who prayed for me as well :)
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment