This week, during a class lecture, my professor shared her struggles her first year as an economics graduate student. When she graduated from college, she took six years off from school and had a regular job. She decided to go back to get her masters in economics. However, her math background was weak, she did not take a class past business calculus.
However, she shared with us a principle that helped her through that first, tough year in school. Her collegues had masters from the London School of Economics, with a greater knowledge of higher-level math than her, she realized that she could do it, if she took it one step at a time.
When she faced problem sets, which were composed of several pages of higher level matematics problems, she chose not to get overwhelmed with the immensity of the assignment or the difficulity level of all the problems in the math set. She decided to tackle it one problem at a time, and within each problem, one step at a time.
She said that this is what go her through the first year, and that eventually, she received funding to complete her doctoral degree.
It made me realize that I had a big problem tackling problems like that, not just in math, but life in general. I become so overwhelmed with how big and hard the situation is, when I should just tackle it one step at a time.
I am truly thankful for that reminder. I feel like I have to solve all of my problems in one day, and that really overwhelms me. Instead, I should just focus on one thing at a time with gratitude that the answers are always on hand.
Today, I am going to focus on God as my Mind, and that this Mind gives me the intellegience to deal with anything. But I know I don't have to find a solution to everything in one day. He is guiding me through everything, step by step, day by day, moment by moment :)
Friday, April 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I have the same propensity to become overwelmed with the number of issues at hand
Especially at work
Post a Comment